- Regional Social Security Forum for Africa kicks off in Addis
- UN, AU pledge to help Kenya ensure credible rerun of presidential poll
- Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed arrives in Addis
- Enel in line for 100MW PV array as Ethiopia seeks renewables
- U.S. Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley arrives in Addis
Dr Tedros to compete with 2 other nominees for the post WHO Director General
(EBC; January 25, 2017)- The WHO Executive Board selected Dr Tedros Adhanom of Ethiopia and two others nomnees by vote to be presented to World Health Assembly as nominees for the post of Director-General of WHO. The two other nomnees are Dr David Nabarro, and Dr Sania Nishtar.
Five candidates were interviewed by Member States today prior to the vote. The names of the 3 nominees were announced at a public meeting on Wednesday evening, 25 January 2017.
All Member States will choose among the 3 nominees by vote at the World Health Assembly in May 2017. The new Director-General will take office on 1 July 2017.