- N Korea warns of 'catastrophe' if US-S Korea military drill goes ahead
- U.S. air strikes kill seven al Shabaab fighters in Somalia
- DR Congo landslide kills at least 60 people
- Hailemariam urges East Africa to beat poverty through economic integration
- PM Hailemariam in Kigali to attend Kagame’s inauguration
Dr Tedros to compete with 2 other nominees for the post WHO Director General
(EBC; January 25, 2017)- The WHO Executive Board selected Dr Tedros Adhanom of Ethiopia and two others nomnees by vote to be presented to World Health Assembly as nominees for the post of Director-General of WHO. The two other nomnees are Dr David Nabarro, and Dr Sania Nishtar.
Five candidates were interviewed by Member States today prior to the vote. The names of the 3 nominees were announced at a public meeting on Wednesday evening, 25 January 2017.
All Member States will choose among the 3 nominees by vote at the World Health Assembly in May 2017. The new Director-General will take office on 1 July 2017.