- Regional Social Security Forum for Africa kicks off in Addis
- UN, AU pledge to help Kenya ensure credible rerun of presidential poll
- Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed arrives in Addis
- Enel in line for 100MW PV array as Ethiopia seeks renewables
- U.S. Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley arrives in Addis
UNAIDS Executive Director lauds Ethiopia's achievements in the health sector
(EBC; January 31, 2017)- Under-Secretary General and Executive Director of UNAIDS, Michel Sidibe upon meeting Minister of Foreign Affairs Dr. Workneh Gebeyehu in Addis Ababa on the sideline of the 28th AU Summit on Tuesday, praised Ethiopia's achievements in the health sector.
During their discussion, Mr.Sidibe appreciated Ethiopia for closely working with UNAIDS and noted that the country's achievements in the health sector, particularly meeting the health-related Millennium Development Goals was significantly commendable.
He also reiterated his organization's commitment to continue to support Ethiopia in a bid to help the country meet the globally set plan of ending AIDS epidemic in 2030.
Dr. Workineh for his part thanked UNAIDS for the support it has been offering to Ethiopia in the pursuit of containing the AIDS epidemic. In such regards, the Minister mentioned Ethiopia's health policy and
particularly its preventive strategy.