- World leaders gathered at UN commit to boosting investment in education
- UNSC adopts draft resolution on reform of UN peacekeeping
- 14th International Construction exhibition kicks off in Addis Ababa
- Africa called on to embrace plant genetic varieties to boost food security
- UN to evaluate two years peace keeping performance
UN agencies vow to mitigate drought in Ethiopia
(EBC; September 5, 2017) - Deputy Prime Minister Demeke Mekonnen expresses Ethiopia's keenness to strengthen ties with different developmental organizations to combat drought and sustain development.
The deputy premier conferred on Monday with board members of the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and representatives of the World Food Program (WFP).
IFAD President Gilbert Houngbo said on the occasion that the organization has been undertaking encouraging developmental activities in Somali and Tigray states.
The president stated that Ethiopia's sustainable development initiatives, which he said are well planned, invite call for further support.
The president also expressed the organizations' keenness to engage in irrigation development to mitigate drought in the country.