- Consolidating dev’t, democracy calls for concerted efforts of all: Hailemariam
- Africa's rapid urbanization can drive industrialization, says new UN report
- Ceremony marking culmination of SEPDM’s silver jubilee held in Hawassa
- Engie targets Africa with home solar acquisition
- 440 senior officials investigated for corruption
State Minister Hirut meets with UNFPA Country Director
(EBC; August 8, 2017) - State Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mrs. Hirut Zemene, met the newly appointed United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) Director to Ethiopia, Ms. Elke Bettina Maas on Tuesday.
Mrs. Hirut appreciated UNFPA's efforts in Ethiopia and worldwide in implementing wide ranging development projects and most importantly, its role in gathering relevant data on population and development in the country.
She also stated her country values the support UNFPA extended to Ethiopia so far and hoped the support would continue in the years to come.
The State Minister noted UNFPA's projects are in line with the Sustainable Development Goals that Ethiopia has been striving to achieve.
In this regard, she affirmed UNFPA is making real progress in the country further highlighted the need to do more to ensure a healthy and just world and improve the quality of human life.
Ms. Elke Bettina Maas said that she is pleased to work with the Government of Ethiopia on various projects which she said are valuable to the public.
She added that UNFPA will also continue to work hard to fight early marriage and other harmful traditional practices.