- Consolidating dev’t, democracy calls for concerted efforts of all: Hailemariam
- Africa's rapid urbanization can drive industrialization, says new UN report
- Ceremony marking culmination of SEPDM’s silver jubilee held in Hawassa
- Engie targets Africa with home solar acquisition
- 440 senior officials investigated for corruption
Premier Hailemariam congratulates Uhuru Kenyatta on re-election
(EBC; August 12, 2017) - Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn has congratulated Uhuru Kenyatta on his re-election for a second term as President of Kenya.
In his message, the Premier also cheered the people of Kenya on the successful conclusion of the democratic exercise.
Hailemariam wished a bright future for the longstanding Ethio-Kenya friendship, which he said is based on a firm foundation.
Kenya's election commission announced Friday that incumbent President Uhuru Kenyatta has won a second term defeating veteran opposition leader and longtime rival Raila Odinga in a tense contest.
Kenyatta garnered 54.27% of the final vote, similar to what he had in a preliminary count. Odinga received 44.74%.
Observers including that of the African Union have approved of Kenya's current electoral process as credible.