- Adama Industrial Park is to go operational in couple of months
- Agency to conduct 4th round of general census as of February
- House urges corporation to discharge its responsibility properly
- AU rejects allegations of rights violations by its troops in Somalia
- IMF says Sudan must float currency to boost growth, investment
NBE devalues currency by 15 pct
(EBC; October 10, 2017) - The National Bank Ethiopia (NBE) has devalued the Ethiopian Birr by 15 percent, effective as of Wednesday, the bank has announced.
Vice Governor of NBE, Dr. Yohannes Ayalew, told reporters on Tuesday that the bank also raised its main interest rate to 7 percent from 5 percent.
According to the chief economist, besides promoting exports, the measure would boost saving culture.
Reporter: Hiwot Degefu