- Regional Social Security Forum for Africa kicks off in Addis
- UN, AU pledge to help Kenya ensure credible rerun of presidential poll
- Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed arrives in Addis
- Enel in line for 100MW PV array as Ethiopia seeks renewables
- U.S. Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley arrives in Addis
Nation observing 3 days of mourning for landslide victims
(EBC; March 15, 2017) – Ethiopians are observing a three-day national mourning period starting Wednesday for dozens of people who were killed in a garbage landfill landslide in Addis Ababa.
The national flag will fly at half-mast for three days across the country as well as on Ethiopian-owned ships and Ethiopian embassies and consular offices, in line with the parliament's declaration on Tuesday.
According to the Addis Ababa Fire and Emergency Prevention and Rescue Authority, the death toll in the late Saturday evening incident, which destroyed 15 houses, rose to 72 by Tuesday.