- Consolidating dev’t, democracy calls for concerted efforts of all: Hailemariam
- Africa's rapid urbanization can drive industrialization, says new UN report
- Ceremony marking culmination of SEPDM’s silver jubilee held in Hawassa
- Engie targets Africa with home solar acquisition
- 440 senior officials investigated for corruption
Ethiopia topped African consumers of Dangote cement in first half of 2016
(EBC; July 31, 2017) - Ethiopia led Africa in the consumption of cement manufactured by the Dangote Group, according to unaudited results of the company for the period spanning January to June 2017.
The East African giant took in a total of 1.1 million metric tons of Dangote Cement with the second African country being Senegal where 0.6 million metric tons of the product was sold.
Generally, the Nigeria-based cement producer announced a spike in its sales volume across the continent despite a drop in sales in native Nigeria. The company continues expansion across the continent with plants in different countries.
‘‘Our Pan-African operations are growing well and increasing market share," Onne van der Weijde, Dangote Cement's Chief Executive Officer, is quoted to have said.
"We saw our first sales from Sierra Leone in the first quarter and our new plant in the Republic of Congo will be in production at the end of July, further increasing our footprint across Africa and strengthening our position as its leading manufacturer of cement."
Dangote cement is Africa's largest cement company with plants in Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Zambia, Tanzania & South Africa.
Source: Africa News